It’s easy to make turkey or poultry dressing and the secret to the best dressing is just enough moisture and not overpowering with seasonings. Amounts given are for a mid-to-large turkey, but you can easily reduce the ingredients for a small chicken.
Turkey or Poultry Dressing Recipe for a 14 – 16 lb Bird:
- Bread Cubes from older crusts or fresh slices (not too dry)
- 1 Egg (optional) See note below
- 1/2 Cup melted butter, margarine or olive oil
- 1 Medium chopped onion
- 1/2 Cup of Chopped celery
- Sage or poultry seasoning blend; salt and pepper, parsley
Slice bread in 1/2″ cubes and place in the roasting pan or a large bowl. You’ll need about half to two-thirds of a large loaf for a 16 lb turkey. The amount of bread cubes will vary, but you can cook separately what does not fit inside the turkey. I usually use white bread cubes; you can use a mix of white and brown, but avoid whole grain breads which may not cook properly.
Add a slightly beaten egg, mixing well with bread cubes. This is purely optional. I find it holds the dressing together well, but I’ve also omitted it due to food allergies and it does not affect flavor. If you do add an egg, it’s important to note that dressing should be refrigerated while waiting to be stuffed in the bird and not left at room temperature.
Sauté the chopped onions and celery in the butter (or margarine, oil) in a small pan for about five minutes and add to the bread cubes.
Mix thoroughly and add a little more melted butter if needed, to slightly moisten all bread cubes.
Add seasonings. Result should be a sparse sprinkling; avoid over seasoning especially with sage, salt and pepper.
The stuffing as it is also called, is now ready to be stuffed into the turkey. Prepare your turkey, stuff it with this dressing and cook it – see Turkey Cooking instructions.
Cooking Dressing Separately – Slow Cooker Option:
You can also cook your dressing separately from the turkey and experts recommend it as the safest way to cook it. Follow the same Dressing Recipe above and then:
- Grease a slow cooker or Crock-pot with olive oil, butter or margarine
- Add the dressing (completed recipe above)
- Sprinkle half a tin (about 5 oz) of Chicken Broth over the dressing
- Gently mix to distribute the broth
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours
- Then keep warm till dinner serving time; serve from the slow cooker
- Refrigerate or freeze leftovers
- Turkey Talk – From Freezer to Table – How to Cook and Defrost a Turkey
- Best Roasters and Roasting Pans
- Serve a Sundae for a Holiday Dinner Dessert
- How to Cook Pumpkin
- How to Set a Table